Misc Tech Tips
Contents of this page:
- See also
- Emoticons in the browser
- Tech_tips tag in private Evernote
- Useful tag in private Evernote
- shortcuts tag in private Evernote
Refresh your cache
Searching Bookmarks and History
- Add Bookmarks and History as separate "search engines"
- Settings | Manage Search Engines | Add Search Engine
- Give them a single-letter keyword each
- Bookmarks: chrome://bookmarks/?#q=%s
- History: chrome://history/?#q=%s
- Now you can access those from the omnibox
- The omnibox is the browser search bar
- On Windows: Ctrl + L
- On Mac: Cmd(splat) + L
- Then enter the keyword (configured abnove - I'm using b for bookmarks and h for history) and hit Tab
- Note that on Mac Catalina I'm finding that any search term you enter directly will get crappy results, so I just enter a random character and then tab inyo the actual search text box
- Add bullet list: Cmd + Shift + 8
- Other gmail shortcuts
- To avoid playing whackamole with the infuriating toolbar at the bottom...
- To mute/unmute yourself: Cmd + D (Ctrl + D in Windows)
- To toggle video: Cmd + E (Ctrl + E in Windows)
Useful Slack shortcuts
- More here
- Cmd k [channel name or person name] to open new channel or direct conversation – eg
Cmd + k + nagiosdeploy
- Ctrl + K on Windows
- Cmd + Shift + \ - emoji reactions to someone’s post
- :[emoji name] – emojis embedded in posts
- `[code]` (ie text encased by back ticks) - code
- Cmd + [ - go back to last channel / DM visited
- Cmd + ] - go forward again
- On Windows: Alt + <- or ->
- Cmd + Shift + T: Open the threads view
- Cmd + Shift + M: Show "activity" / mentions - ie times when you've been @ed (also accessed via @ symbol top right)
If you want to search for a term in a particular channel: in the search box (top right):
- Like this: roadmap in:observability-priv
- Actually it’s this: roadmap in:#observability-priv
- ...but the hash symbol gets inserted for you if you forget it.
Scheduling Slack Messages
- I seem to have installed this, but I think it's a free trial that only lasts 7 days?
- This looks worth looking at.
Other Slack Stuff
- See here (Clare only) (try searching for ?learn)
Emoticons in the browser
Google docs / Google products only?
Ctrl + cmd + space to embed emojis
NB: In google sheets you have to be in the formula input for it to work.